Auroris

The Sanctuary Network - Join our story. Forge your own. [Active RPG]

Kle    122

Kyle smiled. "I know, it confused me at first, hell it still confuses me" He sat down at a sofa and pointed to a spot next to him. "I know there's no extra desk but feel free to use mine if you need to." He smiled "I can always use the study at home if I get too bogged down. Besides most of the stuff you'll be handing in you can do from a lap top." He reached for a huge book like pile of papers.

"No I want to talk about this... dead tree that Temple Hall sent over. I'm not a fan of paperwork, this just made me angry. The covering letter even more so." He turned to Hreb

Hreb    48

"Ah, my contract! Cover letter must be from vonHohenms.  He's the Magus who I worked for, he's uhhh, Magi are like magic nerds.  Opinionated know it alls, really as bosses go, he wasn't so bad, bit of a bitch, but willing to give me a fair amount of trust considering how my kind are generally viewed around the Hall.  The contract is complicated?  Uncomplicated contracts will get you screwed over.  Essentially what happened was I showed up in London on the advice of a nun friend of mine from San Francisco, where I'd lived for about five years.  I had thought she was a Vatican monster hunter but it turns out she was a retired Templar who went nun.  It's a long story, but me and a couple buddies were monster hunting the stuff that the Dragon and the Templar of San Fran were ignoring, mostly vampires and a nasty fae or odd demon, when my buddy Aldys got cursed by this weird necromancer named Prokop Maizoweiki.  It was a fucked up curse and my nun buddy decided that maybe the Templar archives might hold a clue as to how to break it seeing as how we knew that Maizoweiki was from the Czech area and all.  I'd pretty much do anything for Aldys, so off I went.

"So she sends me to London and the Hall with a letter, and after some initial excitement they decide to read the letter, and the bees have pooped pollen all over it somehow and they take that as some kind of Sign.  She says recruit me, so they kinda do.  I am what I am, so a contract.  A huge amount of support for all this came from a small faction of Lumi hatin' Templars.  A great deal of the reason for the amount of leeway I have is that the idea was that I would pretend to defect to the Lumis and worm my way in then be a spy.  I'm not convinced it was ever practical, but they decided it was worth a go.  I have some really old Lumi contacts in Rhode Island from like 20 years ago when I first made it to Earth, but we are talking about people from before the beesplosion, who are semi-retired and from Rhode Island rather then New York, so while they are Lumis, they aren't exactly movers and shakers.  I think the Lumis probably have a huge file on me somewhere but back then, everything was paper and it might be in some warehouse under a mountain of other paper.

"That dead tree is actually pretty helpful to me, it protects me from the Templars to some degree, keeps them from arbitrarily sending me to Hell and makes them feel all warm and safe, it protects little baby Templars from me in case I ever decide to chuck my morals." Hreb rolls his eyes.  "Does make it so I have strictures. A Templar that outranks me can order me to do stuff within limits.  I cannot attack Templars first, they gotta strike first?  But, eh, getting a lot of them to smack first really isn't too difficult.  If I'm ever called upon to attack Solomon Lancaster, I'm probably screwed, but doesn't seem likely and he'd beat me no matter what, man would be pretty prepared for someone like me."  Hreb chuckles.  "The archives did actually net me something, and I did manage to get Aldys uncursed. So I'm pretty happy wit the outcome.  This may sound funny, but at heart I am a Templar.  I guess I got a pile of Dragon in me too.  But I am a big damn hero to the core.  Rescuing kittens, putting out fires, the whole nine yards."

Kle    122

Kyle pause and thought for a moment. "You mean you're ok with this? You wouldn't change this if you had a chance? Because there's at least a few parts I would happily get rid of. " he sighed. "And as for the letter and that... Thing" he shuddered slightly. 

Hreb    48

"Contract can't really be changed, kinda the point of it.  Prevents them from selling me down the river.  The punishments, erm, you are not obligated to use them?  I, um ,well, Hell is a nasty place, but Seam, and pretty much everyone thinks the punishments are pretty upsetting.  I chose them, it's only pain for me, but it does really upset other people and so that actually bothers me.  Seam comes unglued, Church gets all murdery, so far I've managed to never let Sam see the marks, she would go ballistic.  People try to heal it, but it won't magic heal, cause holy.  Takes about a month to heal, cause I'm actually pretty pure all things considered.  Less if I go on some kind of purity binge, which is a lot of no fun.

"Templars wanted some way to feel like they can keep me in line.  This gives them that, although if you are administrating my contract, you get to say what happens and they do not. I believe you are prevented from sending me to Hell or trapping me in some way, like no mason jars.  I'm really not too likely to need punishing."  Hreb laughs gently.  "I like the idea of working here and I'm not an idiot."

"The rod of smiting, or whatever they call it, I guess if they gave it to you, you can do what you like with it I guess?  Send it back with a dozen dead rats? Poke people with it as a security check?  It's holy.  I guess that might be useful."

Kle    122

Kyle grinned for a moment. "If there's one thing that blue haired trouble maker has taught me, it's that there's always a way to turn things to your advantage. Especially contracts." Kyle paused and looked at Hreb. "But if you are happy with it then I won't interfere. I don't like them having that much control but it's not really my call." He sighed. "And that... Thing. I've sent it down to storage. I don't intend on using it. You seem like a smart man and punishing your husband seems unfair. " he smiled at Hreb. 

"Hopefully I won't have to come up with any alternatives..." He said. "If even part of what Temple Hall have to say is true I'm giving you a lot of leeway. Not that you don't deserve it."

• Like 1

Hreb    48

"I always take people trusting me as a tiny miracle." Hreb smiles wholeheartedly.  "I try not to abuse that.  I generally only run into trouble accidentally when I don't know what I ought to be doing, and that is more common than you'd think.  Hell is a weird place, and I have only been here on Earth this time about seventeen years and the modern era is so different.  You can't imagine.  Well, maybe imagine that I come from under a rock, or somewhere so deep in the boonies that there never was any technology or offices or schools or laws or anything but warlords and slavers.  I kinda know about all those nice things?  But my understanding is kinda flawed. I get stuff wrong, and although I try not to, I sometimes make assumptions that things are a little draconian when they are not, cause I've misinterpreted.

"I was civilized by a number of humans, one of whom is a really great guy but your basic cheery psychopath, and he mostly taught me how to be a criminal, and all about the 80's.  A pair of Russian intellectuals had a go at it next and they did pretty well, I'm semi-educated, I'm diplomatic, polite, morally and intellectually curious.  I've always wanted to properly go to school but they taught me a lot.  I've bartended on and off for the whole time, and although I'm kinda done with it now, that taught me so many subtle things.  I don't do the criminal thing much anymore.  The tech needed to do a good job these days is mostly beyond me.  Not a whole lot of call for my rather old fashioned skills and besides, I get all moral and then can't do it if I can tell someone might get hurt.  I mean, I'll steal stuff for Said and the Princes, but they rarely ask me to do anything but knock over warehouses run by cultists.

"I adore humans, admire them more than most anything, and I am pretty proud of how humanish I am. I am also proud of the fact that I am useful, unlike most of my waste of space breathern. But I do work differently on a metaphysical level even and it's probably kind of important that you get that.  And any things that you do or don't want me doing might be a good idea, let's not assume I know better.  I probably actually do?  But well.  Might be a bad assumption.  My standing orders from the Hall mostly have to do with their paranoia over Lumis controlling the interwebs and so I am limited about how I put information up on the internet and twitter and all.  This is probably a good thing, I can have poor judgement sharingwise.  It's hard to know when and what to tell sometimes, and while I try to be open, there are plenty of people who should not know much about me and should just think I'm another Bee.  So I should most likely continue to not do TMITuesday."

Kle    122

Kyle sat back and thought for a while. There was a lot to take in and he'd rather trust Hreb over the Hall. "Well I'm not going to restrict you unnecessarily." He said after some thought. "I mean you've seen how much I can get away with" He chuckled "I guess all I ask is that you're up front with me. If you think you've done something wrong, don't try to hide it. From experience it doesn't end well. The last thing I want to have to do is answer questions from the hall about "Why I let him get out of hand", when it might have been a situation that we could have dealt with internally. If you're not sure, talk to me. Or Evelyne if I'm not around." He paused.

"To be honest I don't trust the hall. I don't trust any of them as far as I can throw them. The less control they have over you the better. I don't want control. I don't think any organisation should have control over an individual. But that's just me." He sighed for a moment.

"As far as sharing. Well I can't really talk. I'm not going to punish you for taking part in a Q and A on twitter. Hell you can tell the world about all the things for all I care. Most organisations could do with being more open. But I'm not the best role model." He smiled. "It's your call. I'll make sure you're covered if you go too far. We can always chalk it up to a learning experience." He winked.

"So any questions now I've finished going on?" Kyle grinned "before we get to the interesting stuff?"

• Like 1

Hreb    48

"Well, mostly I don't know what to do with myself until I get a mentee.  There's always something I could be doing somewhere, so if I'm idle, should I go monster hunting and people saving and all that?  I am not a workaholic or anything, but I'm kinda happiest doing things, be it bartending or shooting things in the face.  It's very hard to sit and look at the computer all day, I don't know how my coworkers manage, but I suppose for them, they are doing.  It's just a doing I don't understand, making code and things. And paperwork.  I suppose I will need to fill out paperwork for a mentee, but we will cross that bridge when we get there. Are there things about Sanctuary that I know that are supposed to be secret?  I really don't know a whole Hell of a lot about y'all, but I am assuming everything to do with the creepy kidnapper stalker thing person is not to be bandied about."

Kle    122

Kyle smiled. "Well as for secrets, most things that are supposed to be kept secret will be marked in big red ink so I wouldn't worry too much. The incident with the kidnapper, probably best to keep that under wraps" Kyle laughed "But for the most part we keep things pretty open. We have faction reps on the council and they have just as much access to info as most of the people on the ground. Of course there is some stuff we keep hidden from people on the ground but to be honest it's mostly tax returns and boring crap like that" Kyle winked.

"As for mentees. I have three potential candidates. Each with their own quirks and strengths. They're pretty broken in so I'm not throwing you in at the deep end. For them they've been in the Secret World for a while but have just joined us. It's about making sure they can get jobs done and working with other factions to complete a mission." Kyle paused. "Actually that's often the most difficult part of the job... Huh my bad" He pulled out three folders. Inside each was a description each agent and their skills as well as a run down of the goals that mentorship hoped to achieve. 

Agent One

This Agent is very hyperactive and has a tendency to ignore direct orders. They are still closely tied to their faction and they tend to prioritise missions from the faction over ours even when on a mission from us.

They are skilled with blood and blade and have a good knowledge of mele weapons. They have expressed an interest in extending their healing skills.

The main goals would be to aid this agent in extending their skills and teach them that while we encourage agents to work with their factions they must see a mission through to a conclusion before accepting a new one.

Agent Two

This Agent is very loyal to us, having been treated badly by their faction and chosen to leave them. The faction agreed to let us take them although they do reserve the right to recall them if the need arrives. The do tend to go to extremes however and often see no issue with killing innocents while completing mission parameters.

They are skilled in all weapons and do not need any assistance in learning new skills.

The goal in mentoring this Agent would be to help tone down the extremely high casualty rate on their missions. Essentially helping them to realise that where possible we do not take life but work to help keep things secret. This usually means a more quite less terminal approach for civilians.

Agent Three

This Agent is a loose cannon. They have killed one of Sanctuary's own and are tolerated. However we believe in second chances. This Agent has a history and does appear to be trying to change his ways. Many people are sceptical of that.

This Agent only has a basic knowledge of weapons and skills. Tending to prefer guns over other weapons out of habit.

The goal in mentoring this Agent would be to help ensure that they remain on their current path and that this is not all a cover as many suspect. We need to show that they are actively working to maintain their position here and that they are not just using it as cover or protection from a previous employer. We also want to build trust with the Agent so helping them to improve their skills and extend into other areas would help them and us if they become a useful asset.

"Well, there you go" Kyle smiled. "It's not the full dossier, they've removed names and faction details so you're making a choice based on gut feeling. I'll give you the full details once you've decided." He wandered over to a small fridge in the corner of the room. "Fancy a drink while you read?" He said grabbing a can of larger and grinning.

Hreb    48

"Yes please" Hreb caught the can tossed to him rather awkwardly in a manner suggesting he was not terrible good at catch.  He opened it after a beat and settled on the couch and began reading.  He reeread several times.  "Hm. teaching I can't do that much of but I for sure can find other teachers for them.  It took me months of my most patient buddies teaching me to get ok with the magic revolvers. I only use Infernal magic, what the Bright Spear does kinda looks like elemental magic?  But it isn't, it is just what the Spear does.  I am total crap at most magic.  But I know everyone, can find a teacher for people usually. and I am gonna go out on a limb here, but let's not teach Infernal magic to most folk. Hm Hyperactive....Ahhduuno , maybe she feels stuck, know a lotta folks who feel like their faction has them by the short hairs when that's not necessarily true."  Hreb drank down the can then burped delicately and looked very proud of himself.

"Overkill.  Hm.  Well. Baby with the bathwater thinking. It's one thing to have to."  Hreb looks profoundly unhappy for a moment.  "Whole 'nother thing to burn down the orphanage to get to Fagin.  Loose Cannon sounds like they really need a minder though."  Hreb chewed his bottom lip in thought.  Alright. Dock Overkill's pay 5% every civvie he kills you deem unnecessary, and I'll get to him when I get to him.   I'll take Loose Cannon."

Edited by Hreb
derpy grammar