Goodmorgan

Newbie question about roles in TSW...

Shivvies    59

I love how a lot of things can be done a bit differently in this game as well... I mean, yes, there is a really efficient and optimal way to do most things and it is possible to min/max to obscene DPS levels for instance but since the game is quite forgiving at a certain level of optimisation, it is legitimately possible to do a lot of things differently (I mean, you don't actually need more than 7-8K group DPS in any of the nightmare content; of course more is nice and certainly attainable but not cruical).

I think I am in love with the game's vision. May not always translate to practicality but it definitely gives it a good try!

Pclav    33

​Other MMOs have pure aggro abilities that one uses in their rotation? O.o That sounds weird.

There are a couple of pure aggro abilities in TSW, but they have long cooldowns. Those are Confuse, Mass Confusion, Provoke and Mass Provocation.

​That's why I fumbles for a word ^^

Most MMOs I played have abilities that increase tanks agro on cast. Like Crimson Theater with no to very small cooldown. Think of a Blade Torrent, Crimson theater, Blade Torrent, Crimson Theater spam. A "spam X as often as you can" kind of an agro ability.

Without spamming that one ability tanks won't hold agro.

Provoke, MP are a different mechanic. Casting that when you already hold agro does nothing.

Vikestart    106

So aggro abilities that increase aggro by a flat amount? :P +500 hate or something like that?

Yeah, I like how it's done in TSW. Heals generate aggro as well, which makes it feasible to healtank for instance.

Vikestart    106

Misdirection can be really good under certain circumstances. Usually not worth the slot but sometimes you kind of have to have some stuff there - like, never seen a tank compliaining about Agitator taking up one slot :P

​No, but if your tank is struggling with aggro, even when having Agitator equipped, it's better for one DPS to use Misdirection, than all the DPS slotting Subtlety :P The group will lose less DPS that way.

• Like 1

Goodmorgan    9

Thanks to all for the replies and info on tanking/aggro/roles! There is so much info (on this site), and builds, and items, and rotations, and starter guides and guides on the forum itself, and the list goes on! Head is spinning. ^_^

P.S. These forums look way better than the official forum. :o

• Like 1