Auroris

Wheel of Time vs Belgariad/Mallorean

Which epic fantasy series do you prefer?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the Wheel of Time, or the Belgariad & Mallorean?

• The Wheel of Time
    • The Belgariad & Mallorean

Auroris    160

So after my last poll, where we contended between Firefly and Game of Thrones, I've just finished re-reading the Wheel of Time series, and have just finished the Belgariad. Which do you think is better? Obviously if you've not read them both, there's not much point in voting, but I am not sure which I prefer this time round.

The Wheel of Time is a 14 book series, started by Robert Jordan, and after his death, finished by Brandon Sanderson. The books are big, full of detail, and follow a pretty large cast of characters. The rules of the world are well thought out and internally consistent.

The Belgariad & Mallorean are two pentologies, totalling 10 books. The books are not as long, and the overall cast of characters is generally shorter, but I find the story is no less engaging, and is still awesome.

I genuinely cannot pick which of these is my favourite, so let me know what you think!

Kiernon    68

I have not read the Belgariad yet (and my backlog just increased by ten books) so there's not much point in me voting, yet.

Let me just say that every time I read WoT I have the urge to stab Rand with a rusty spoon.

Vanor    21

I don't know if this matters to others, but one thing I think should be kept in mind is that the Belgariad was written in the early 80's.  So a lot of the tropes we now have in Fantasy came from those books.

But between the two, the humor that fills Eddings books makes it IMO much better than the WoT, I also felt that Eddings characters were more human and I could relate to them better.  

The WoT is a good series, but frankly he has far too many characters.  The main reason for the length of the series is that he felt the need to describe far too much about things that really didn't matter a ton.

If you like the Belgarid & Mallorean then I'd recommend the Elenium & Tamuli, which were IMO better then the Belgariad.

Pclav    33

I don't know if this matters to others, but one thing I think should be kept in mind is that the Belgariad was written in the early 80's. 

That's why I mentioned Riftwar. I just think Feist "does it better".

If you like the Belgarid & Mallorean then I'd recommend the Elenium & Tamuli, which were IMO better then the Belgariad.

​So much this <3 ^^

Vanor    21

That's why I mentioned Riftwar. I just think Feist "does it better".

I tried the Riftwar but never got into it.  Part of my love of Eddings stuff was that I first read Pawn of Prophecy in 10th grade (Which I have to confess was only a couple years after it was written...).  It was one of the first series I read, and your first always is special.

Auroris    160

​I agree with this, as it happens. The main reasons I chose B & M were that they are the ones I am currently re-reading, the total number of books is much closer, and both sets were the authors' first fantasy series. Eddings started Elenium partway through the Mallorean, so he already had more experience at that point.

Vanor    21

Eddings started Elenium partway through the Mallorean, so he already had more experience at that point.

​Yeah I remember that.  Myself and a group of friends were rather displeased with Mr (and it turns out Mrs) Eddings over that.

Put the series we were reading and waiting for the next book come out, when he decides "oh yeah I'm going to start a whole new series..."  Thankfully it was a very good one.

Speaking of which, playing a Sparhawk like character in a D&D game was one of the more enjoyable role play experiences I had.  Was a very interesting take on the concept of Lawful Good.

Vanor    21

I dunno. I think Sparhawk is much more Chaotic Good.

:)

He's at most Neutral Good, but he has a great deal of respect for the laws of both the Kingdoms and the Church, just will occasionally work around them when needed.  For example at one point he was ordered to go somewhere by a primate, but rather than disobey, which is what a CG person would do, he found someone else to give him the orders he wanted.

There's a number of times that Sparkhawk follows the orders of someone even though he'd much rather do something else.  So he has a great deal of respect for the Law, and follows it even when he might rather not.

So I've always thought of him as being Pragmatically Lawful Good, he respects the laws, even if it hinders him but ultimately will find a way to do what's right even if he has to bend the rules a bit, but never goes as far as out and out breaking them.

That's why I loved the Sparhawk books, they put a new spin on the Knight in Shining armor trope, and made them all very human, yet at the same time fairly epic heroes.