Hangedman

Groundworks healing build

Pclav    33

I did yesterday Polaris and DW with a tank who took no block rating at all for the fight and apart for the UrDraug, the Ak'ab and the Dog of nameless day (aka as Dark Puppy) I could handle the heal. No surprise for the three others, they are strong damage dealer even with "standard" heal/tank team.

Few months back I reported this as a bug. I guess it was never resolved. 0 block tanks mess up somehow with mobs pen chance. In full 24 runs our tank was getting pen'd 3-5 times only.

If it's true then the build could be a good one for beginner character ?

Don't think so, no.

It can be great for some people, but the build is rather delicate and prone to underperform easily based on the talisman stats. As you progress you have to tweek a lot to keep up the performance. it's all fine and good when you got experienced tanks, but when both the healer and tank are new it can be a crash and burn. "Leecher" build implies a damage healer. This is closer to "rifle healing" or at least that's how new players should look at it. It's just somethign in peoples minds.

1) General Tweek

Take out SoH or Greater Good or Win WIn and slot Energize [better buff then Greater Good] and Lock and Load [ohshit button when tank eats a damage spike; will allow you to use Shot of Anima twice in a row.]

Take out Leech Therapy and Anticoagulant. get Closer and Brawler.

2) Basic Builder Combo

a) Groundwork + Improved Groundwork + Post-Op =  ~252 hps + 3.4% leech ; short range

b) Anima Shot + Anima Boost + Knuckle Down = ~304+x hps; x if you actually hit the target with no offensive glyphs ;) ; long range

c) Anima burst + Knuckle Down + any derp like Improved Bursts = ~391+x hps ; same issue as Anima Shot with the additional leech damage ; long range + cast time + slowdown

As I mentioned before your combo is missing the heal part, but you make up for it with 2 passives. This also means that if people try to go the "leech" way and add AR they will start to loose that base heal. Assuming ofc that more AR = less HR.

Combos b and c are a bit more fool proof because even if you add AR lowering HR the heal + leech part will stay within a certain ratio giving you a bigger margin of error on balancing stats. With the C combo even if you cut your HR in half your base hps should still be greater then the one that combo A offers. Big downside of it is the slowdown of Anima Burst - I never bothered using it.

3) Veteran or Experience

Veteran is great for team heals but if you want to keep the tank alive it's leech effect is a wild card.

You can't control it.*  You won't stop shooting to line it up for when you think you'll need it the most. Even if you can do that there is no guarantee that your tank is thinking about that and keeping track of it to use his consumers right there and then to top himself off. Great thing to slot for HR 3/6 or 6/6 and if any dps die.. well... they're just not doing their job...

* you can somewhat control Vet if you add a second weapon builder and/or consumer. Blood Shield + EC + Cannibalize + Blood Ambrosia can get you a long way in some fights and will let you line up Vet if you really feel like playing around. However this is NOT a newbie friendly tactic, so defeats it's purpose.

Experience.

Affects each part of a healing ability. So damage, heals and leech effects get a boost. Your combo A has only the damage + leech part. Combos B and C have all 3 parts. Since we're not looking at the damage part we can scratch that. In combo A the leech part is low, really low. 20% of really low is.. :) Now the question is will that Exp buff grant more heals then Vets heal + leech effect for combos B and C. No, no it won't. Not for pure heals without including the damage+leech components.

4) Re-Animator or Reap and Sew

tbc; work >.>

Experience.

Affects each part of a healing ability. So damage, heals and leech effects get a boost. Your combo A has only the damage + leech part. Combos B and C have all 3 parts. Since we're not looking at the damage part we can scratch that. In combo A the leech part is low, really low. 20% of really low is.. :) Now the question is will that Exp buff grant more heals then Vets heal + leech effect for combos B and C. No, no it won't. Not for pure heals without including the damage+leech components.

However Exp also affects Shot of Anima for a better consumer heal. Vet looks good on paper but you don't have any guarantee that it will proc when you can fully use it's heal effect. And since keeping the tank toped off is important with healing in real life Vet will fall behind.

• Like 2

Hangedman    1

I will try the change, specially the Closer and Brawler part. Strangely at beginning I used Experience and changed to Veteran believing that he could be better, I will test Experience a little more and share the result. One good thing with getting rid of Greater Good is that I can get rid of Utilitarian too.

On the other hand, and with the runs with the build behind me, I'm still convinced that it heals as nearly as well as my 4k HR fist heal build. And Groundwork is very long range, his main downside is the slowing movement which is a pain with MT. But I need to get my hand on a poor... curious beginner tank. For Science and Arts !

He will get a cake after the testing.

Pclav    33

Ad 2C) Improved Bursts doesn't affect the heal component of a leech ability. It only affects the damage and leech part. Same goes for Eagle Eye in case you're wondering why I suggested Anima Boost instead of EE in 2B.

Ad 3) Experience no longer boosts the heal part. Just the damage and leech part. Dump it. This opens up a whole new world of possibilities. Since you're using Shot of Anima every 5 seconds that'd give you a constant uptime of a minor crit chance from Rapid Getaway. You can use Seal the Deal for 15% more heals and a 5% crit chance for Shot of Anima, it will be useless for Anima Vessel.

If you want to Stick to Groundwork combo, Rapid Getaway should give you a nice crit chance to make all those procs crit for a bit more heals. Combined with Brawler that should have a really nice yield. 

Out of the Woods is not triggered by Groundwork since there is no actual heal on it. Also it will not affect your passive heals nor leech effects. 

4) Re-animator vs Reap and Sew

Both of those are good in your case, but are too strongly connected with all your "tactical" choices when it comes to selecting other abilities.

5) Consumers

a) Shot of Anima - biggest heal yield of all the consumers based on pure HR

b) Anima Outbreak - Not even worth mentioning unless your whole team is melee and you don't have any other team heals

c) Transfuse Anima - has only the leech effect, so it's heal is damage based; useless in your case

d) Anima Vessel - this ability scales for fuck, but the good news is that even at low heal rating and only 1 resource you'll apply about 7% leech effect. with 3.1k HR and 1 res the leech effect is about 11% so it's a very good tool to top off your dps or counter Lenses in HE. It's easily controllable but you'll need to support it with Vet, RnS and/or Lock and Load if you want to keep up leech effects for a whole team for a longer period of time ie HR 3/6

6) Offhand, cooldowns and other garbage

You can scratch all the dps choices like Hammer, Fist w/ Reckless and Blood w/ Bloodshot.

It's always safe to take Lock and Load to have some burst heals or to control Anima Vessel due to it's long recharge. 

Backup Drone has 2 heal effects on it - Ingenuity [pistol support skill] that lasts 5 seconds and it's tooltip effect that lasts for 15s. The drone effect will affect RnS and Shot of Animas heal and leech effect. 

If you want to control your team heals you got Veteran, Anima Vessel, Reap and Sew or Cold Blooded. 2/4 Should be more then enough to get your through any encounter. So if you choose Vet + AV, you don't need RnS and can use Re-Animator as your elite for single target heals. Depending on what you're doing some abils take lead ie HR 6/6 Vet + Cold Blooded will be awesome, RnS or AV not so much. That fight needs too much movement for those to be really effective. You get a decent uptime on Vet and a lot of team heals if you use Anima Shot or Anima Burst thanks to their huge range. You get to shoot a lot during the Yellow Pizza phases. In HE it's the other way around - you need to be able to have team heals for an extended period of time, so AV + vet or RnS take the lead here. All in all Cold Blooded, will be the biggest single hit team heal and RnS your biggest single target heal if DPS cooperate. ;)

Some places like SH you'll need CB, others like Ankh you'll need RnS. You'll cycle those a lot so don't look at it like it's something set in stone.

What's important is to remember that Anima Vessel should keep the dps alive even at 1 res and following it with Lock and Load will let you chain the leech effect back to back for 12 seconds of "immunity".

Shotgun for Flak Jacket and CU is something you can look into. Great thing with AR heals is that you don't really need an active elite for builds to be really effective. 

Fists with Empathy and Fired Up are rather lame. Whatever Fired Up heals will be too little too late to save the dps - CB will give you more bang for the buck. Scarlet Arts from Blood can be as good as Empathy and you can cast it from HP way more often. 

I already mentioned Energize which is the best shit since sliced bread and easy to use once to get used to that "ohhhh it's stiiil executing" little delay.

Hangedman    1

Perfect ! Many thanks for all this input. I will testing all of that as soon as possible, now just need another victim... ahem tank, yes tank, wonderful and willing tank.

Hangedman    1

And now after extensive testing (and deeply traumatized tank), I believe I've got my hand on the release version of the groundwork build.

Groundwork healing build 1.0

I will just precise that it was never my intentions to concurrence the leeching build or the classic fist heal, they are still better but groundwork has some advantage.

1. It's really easy to use, well it is really boring too, just spam groundwork and eventually shot of anima.
  2. It works really well when you have a DPS tank with some mitigation and when I say well, I say that he never get to danger zone and you can handle spike damage from Ur-Draug and other quite easily.
  3. You can handle healing group very easily without changing your defensive target (in some case I don't even have a defensive target)

I tested the build with 10.4.4 gears and 10.1.0 (with some blue glyph) gears and it works fine. As said previously it mostly depends on the tank ability and gears and not really on yours.

It was tested in 24s and it worked perfectly fine apart for some exception :

• DW 1b : Two stooge between the boss (aka the First True Boss of DW), you really need to be quick on the shot of anime and the Lock and Load.
  • DW 2 : The quick damage done by the adds can quickly kills the tank if he activates too much of them (I usually use the wings when it comes to the stack of 6)
  • DW 4 : For obscure reason (well it hits hard and quick) this one is a pain.
  • HE 4 : Never forget to take off Veteran here for obvious reason.

It doesn't work in :

• Ankh : Reap'n Sew or really heavy Fist Build are still mandatory for Ankh 2 and 3.
  • Hell Fallen : One word - Shield.
  • Facilty : Well it works but you don't need it as every other heal build.
  • The Slaughterhouse : Well it works too but you also don't need it, pack a leeching build to help for DPS if you tank doesn't already heal.
  • NYR : Well it works but the first transition is really a pain, beyond 10 stack you will have a hard time to heal the tank without an offensive target.

I still need some exterior point of view on this build, just test it and say what you think about it. I also wanted to thank those who helped me (including the guinea p... the tank) to elaborate it. For Science and Arts ! And the Cake, don't forget the cake.

Hangedman    1

A little update after testing it in an Eidolon raid and it works really well, even better than a Leech heal. During the mass hysteria attack the fact that all the dps are hugging makes the healing really effective and easier. Moreover, during the "out of combat" phase, you can effectively uses WW with a lot of healing impact. Only problem : taking out the leecher and bringing the groundworks is a net loose in DPS and that can be a problem.