Hreb

Gamer Food

Hreb    48

Being sick is the worst when you are not up to your armpits in help, as many young folks here are.  Going to the store is difficult if not impossible but you gotta eat or you'll stay sick and takeout is usually pretty hard on your system never mind your finances.

So while you are healthy do yourself a favor and hide the following at the back of the cupboard and refuse to use them till you are laid out sick as a dog

Several cans of vegetable soup, and several cans of a soup with chicken as the meat base.  Soup is the sickies friend.  Go easy on the soups with a lot of beans but some beans are fine for most people.  Beef based soups are a lot more appealing to healthy people, and so a couple cans of these will be welcome as you recover and seek heartier fare.  While miserable, avoid them.  A couple cans of stew or ravioli for this period will also do well.  The big trick is to be able to leave the stockpile for sick times rather than use it on lazy days.  But if the only person who can look after you is a semi-absent roomie, you'll be so dang glad you did.

Oatmeal cereal packets.  Digestive biscuits, even if you are American, these light little cookie like things are perfect for the delicate tummy.  They won't make a meal but they will ease hunger pangs gently and usually stay down.  Saltine crackers are nice for the same reasons. Some kind of powdered drink mix can be nice, and tea if you like the stuff.  Every so often go ahead and eat it then replace it all so it does not go stale.  I mean, your soup cans will last forever, but the oatmeal etc won't.  If you have enough for a few days of abject misery your ability to weather a nasty will be much greater and you will recover faster.  Get stuff where you are heating it up and calling it good,or adding boiling water and stirring as you will want to limit your time on your feet and you won't have any brains anyways.

How to make soup for a sickie:

very simple Chicken soup

storebought broth, making your own is a little bit of a pain, at least a liter or so, don't go low sodium

couple sticks of celery

couple carrots

small chicken breast, thigh, or leg, or if you are a vegetarian then a can of your favorite legume, maybe cannolinis, they are soft, rinse them well and only use half of the can and maybe add a little extra pasta

some pasta or rice, like a cup or so

clove of garlic, peeled

basil or cilantro, a few leaves

pepper and salt

boil the broth and add in the chicken if it is raw, let it cook till the meat is completely done, remove, cool, then take the meat off the bone and chop it up small. If you start with leftover cooked chicken you can shorten this considerably.  You can even cheat and buy a slice from a deli or a fried chicken place, actually fried chicken is damn tasty in soup.

clean and peel the carrots, wash celery, then chop them both pretty small

put the chicken, carrots, celery, and pasta or rice into the broth again, boil all until the veggies and pasta are soft, usually about ten minutes, rice may take longer.

chop the garlic and wash the basil or cilantro, add all that into the broth, cook for five minutes or so, add in a little pepper and taste.

Most broths contain more than enough salt, do not add it unless it really needs it.  If you happen to have lemon on hand, a spoonful of lemon juice will brighten nearly any broth or soup, try it on your split pea soup someday.

Generally sick folks do best with the broth at first, and then they can nibble the pasta and veggies.  It's ok that it's mostly broth.  As they get better they can start in on their stash of more substantial things.  Broth and some saltines, see what stays down.

There are many things you can add to make this more substantial, but with a true sickie you want something very simple or that tummy will reject your soup.  Beans, more chicken, canned tomatoes, more carrots and celery, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, ham or even a little sliced sausage are all things that can take the soup to a more hearty state once your sickie is less barfy.

• Like 1

Hreb    48

Spinach and ricotta things that only vaguely resemble enchiladas but are rich and tasty

This makes six, so enough for 3 (or 2 really hungry people,) these are pretty filling to be honest

Small package of frozen spinach, thawed then squeezed so it’s no longer totally soggy, but not dry as a bone, it should no longer be drippy though.  Takes a while to thaw the spinach unless you cheat, so come up with a safe way to thaw.  Gently smoosh it in your hands in a colander over the sink to squeeze out extra water

1 tablespoon of olive oil or whatever

Bunch scallions, chopped small, scallions are those lil green onion things, chop the whole bunch.  Onion haters can leave them out and put in an extra clove of garlic.  Onion haters may do this in many dishes.  We pity you but we want you to be happy.

Couple cloves of garlic

½ c sour cream

Cup ricotta

6 corn tortillas

17.6 oz jar Goya medium salsa verde or whatever you like for enchiladas, green sauce may be more pleasing a color than a red, but red would still taste pretty good.  Goya’s version happens to please me, use what you like.

Enough of your favorite cover cheese to cover, 2 cups or so, shredded, for pretties a white one like Monterey Jack but really anything that melts is fine

Preheat oven to 350

In saucepan heat oil on medium, and gently cook scallions for a minute, then add the garlic, chopped or squisherd in garlic press, cook for a couple, add spinach, stir well, cook for a couple more, remove from heat, let cool slightly

Add in the sour cream and ricotta, stir well

Pour a generous amount of the sauce of choice on the bottom of a square cake pan to coat

Begin filling the corn tortillas, then top with additional sauce, you will have plenty of filling for 6 and could conceivably make more less fat enchiladas if you have the tortillas.

Top all that with cheese, then pop in the oven for 15t-20 min till cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling and all is hot through.

These are more filling than you’d think, but this is a pile of cheese and dairy.

CrazyDogLady    14

I've been debating adding to these, mostly since my family and friends have general terminology like "some", "a little bit", and "just a pinch."  This makes showing people how to make things much easier than writing it down.  However, since there are several yummy recipes here that are along the "taco" theme, and since my roommates (who were Mexican, Puerto Rican, and Cuban) showed me how to make some really good food when I was an undergrad, I thought I'd pass it along.  Hopefully this will be understandable enough.

Note:  There are a lot of recipes that say to cook "to taste."  I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not tasting something while it's scalding hot, so I cook "to smell."  I've found that, since smell and taste are so closely linked, if it smells right, it will probably taste right.  So cook these "to smell."  :D  Yes, this still means you'll probably have to try it a couple of times before you have it exactly the way you want.

Further note:  Some people who cook for a living and people that write recipes professionally do something that they call "sauté."  My family refers to this as "browning."  Basically, this means putting the meat (usually ground beef or chopped chicken) in a frying pan with a little bit of vegetable (or olive, depending on the recipe) oil and cooking it until it's cooked all the way through, which turns it brown (light golden brown in the case of the chicken.)  If it's brown before you start, don't cook it.  Get rid of it.  You've had it in your fridge too long.  (Ground beef can get a bit brownish if exposed to oxygen, so you have to play that one by ear, but if it's really brown, it's probably too old.)

Chicken quesadillas (not spicy, but high cholesterol)

Required cookware and utensils:

A large frying pan (non-stick is easier)

Another pan (can be frying, can be sauce, as long as you can fit what you need to in it and stir it so it all gets cooked)

Paring or similar knife

cheese slicer (or you can use the knife, but a slicer is easier)

Chopping board

Something to lay the chopped food on

spatula (or something like that to turn over the tortillas)

spoon or other utensil to stir vegetables while cooking

Ingredients:

1 - 2 lbs. chicken breasts or chicken fingers or tenders (leaner is better, because it requires less trimming)

a couple of medium-sized bell peppers (I use green, but some people like yellow or red)

a couple of medium-sized tomatoes (Get fresh garden ones if you can)

a small white or yellow onion (You'll probably only use half of it) or onion powder as a substitute

about 1 lb. block of Monterey Jack cheese

Adobo (I use the Goya variety with the green or blue lid)

1 package really large tortillas (the kind you find in the refrigerated section is best)

spreadable butter (or butter substitute if you must, because this is high cholesterol)

vegetable oil

Directions:

Chop up peppers into small (1 inchish) pieces, making sure to remove the inner part with the seeds (and the stem, but hopefully you already knew that.)  Chop up about half the onion, unless you're substituting powder.

Put vegetable oil in second pan (not large frying pan.)  Add peppers and onions (if you're using them.)  Cook on medium-low to medium heat until the oil is absorbed and the vegetables are a bit soft, stirring occasionally so they don't burn.

While they're cooking, chop chicken into 1 inchish pieces, trimming excess fat as you do it.  Set aside for the moment.

Also chop up tomatoes into (you guessed it) about 1 inchish pieces.  Set aside.

Slice cheese.  Also set aside.

When vegetables are soft enough, add chicken.  Coat chicken liberally with Adobo (this is the "to smell" bit - if it smells like there's enough Adobo, there's enough Adobo.)  Add onion powder if you're substituting it for onion.  Brown chicken.  Stir as it's cooking, to avoid burning it.  Make sure it's cooked all the way through, because salmonella is bad.

Note:  These are best if eaten right after they're made, so if you're only using some of it and saving some for later, put the portion you aren't going to use in containers at this point.

Put a little butter in frying pan and heat on medium low heat until melted.

Butter one side of tortilla.  Place in pan.  Add mixed chicken and veggies, tomatoes, and a few slices of cheese.  Make sure to only put them on half of the tortilla.

After it's been cooking long enough that the tortilla is soft (which doesn't take long), use spatula to close tortilla.  Cook until bottom side is golden brown and crispy.

Turn over tortilla and repeat until the other side is also golden brown and crispy.  The cheese should be melted by this point.  You may have to repeat turning the tortilla over a couple of times.

Repeat this for each quesadilla you're making.  Serve as soon as you're finished, so they stay nice and crispy.

If you tend to overstuff them, like I do, this makes about 8 extremely filling quesadillas, but mileage may vary.

Edited by CrazyDogLady
  • Like 1

Hreb    48

Yay more recipes!

Quesadillas are very adaptable to what you have on hand, and simple to make a hot meal rather than just a sammich, and hot meals can often satisfy better even if they are exactly what would be cold, psychology for your tummy, go figure.

Chicken makes for good protein too.

Hreb    48

Breakfast tacos/burritos, rebels may serve these anytime

Heaven in a warm tortilla!

Really  popular in South Texas weekends and variable, simple, so tasty and go to as much effort as you like

And if you visit be sure to go find a food cart/truck where they make pappas fritas (fried potatoes)  This is a dish most easy to get in the am, but like street food everywhere, adventure, choose a popular truck and pray.

Large flour tortillas, or if you are lazy, hand size smaller flour tortillas for a less heavenly but still good dish

Scrambled eggs, maybe 2 eggies per person depending on how hungry you are

Piles of favorite shredded cheese, just if you use Velveeta don’t tell me, but use what you like, cheddar I like myself

Favorite salsas and hot sauces

Bacon!  Avocado, tomatoes, fried onions, garlic, guacamole, Hatch green chile (can be both hard to find and hella hot or limply mild >.< at random)

Canned Pinto beans, chili from leftovers, drained, rinsed, simple or mixed with salsa and heated.

Chopped fried sausages, esp a loose pork kind called chorizo?  Fancy but so S Texas.  Fry cook it for safety and my happiness.  It can be spicy, so taste as you go.

Fried chopped potatoes, good and greasy!

Any other thing you may like or feel like making, this is supposed to be not too complex

Not heart healthy fare I’m afraid,

Ppl assemble tacos/burritos to taste.  Better make plenty of bacon :P

For bonus points heat the tortillas gently without crisping them as much as for quesadillas

Takes a lil practice.  Warming them in tin foil and oven works fine just beware of steam sogging them, let it leak out and don’t burn fingies.  Like a 350 Hot oven, you can lay a naked tortilla on the middle rack for 10 secs and see, should work dandy to warm just enough to be hot and lovely without crumpling hopelessly.  It’ll still taste good even if it does.

Edited by Kle
Orochi Bot Detected Unpermitted Colours. Orochi Bot reformatted the colours.

Kuro-Hebi    12

Skillet Lasagna!

A coworked gave me that recipe last week and I tried it and it is yummyyyyy. And so easy to make.
The quantity in parenthesis were for me because we use grams and mililetres here :P 

INGREDIENTS

• 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 pound (450g) sweet Italian sausage out of casing
  • Salt and pepper
  • 12 ounce (env. 14 pates) package lasagna noodles, each sheet broken into 4 pieces
  • 28 ounce (796 ml) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
  • 15 ounce (398 ml) can tomato sauce
  • 1 cup water, divided
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 15 ounce (400g) container ricotta cheese
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella

LET'S GET COOKING...

• Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion, saute for 5 minutes.
  • Add sausage and break apart with spoon, cook until browned 6-8 minutes.
  • Pour half a cup of water, and 1 cup of sauce over the meat mixture. Place lasagna noodles over meat mixture; top with tomatoes, remaining tomato sauce, basil and ½ cup water.
  • Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until noodles are tender. Dollop ricotta cheese evenly over mixture, and sprinkle with mozzarella. Cover and let stand 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
  • Like 2

Kle    122
On 13/09/2016 at 1:58 PM, thechosenone said:

Ok... now I'm hungry again.

Damn you TaCO. Now I'm peckish....

Edited by Kle
Orochi Bot detected duplicate images. Orochi Bot deleted additional image.
  • Like 1