CrazyDogLady

CrazyDogLady's Crazy Build Testing

Daedalus7    5

I'd be interested in that build, sure.  Yeah, I think the problem is that Rifle/Ele is going to largely rely on the Elemental side for non-elite AOE, and it just doesn't seem to have the synergy that some other AOE weapons do.  I mean, I think it's pretty clear that Ele/anything is able to get really good DPS now, like Arc Flash is doing the same damage as Blade Torrent, but it seems like you need a lot more specific passives to make it work right.  But, I guess that's why we're testing things, because "seems like" does not equal "definitely."

I know it's a whole different build, but I bet you could tweak that Pistol/Blade build of mine to get similar results as your Rifle/Chaos... You get the procs, afflicts, multi-hits, and expose, plus much better synergy with the AOE stuff.  If you look at Focus instead of Burst, especially, you can have Dancing Blade as well as Chop Shop for the AOE needs.  (I'd still say most under-geared or progress builds would want CtP instead, but I think we are sort of presuming at least QL10 blues here, if not 10.1.1 or better across the board.)

A big part of why I wanted to test that build, honestly, is because I have a suspicion that it can be made to be extremely role-flexible with only minimal changes to gear and abilities... Like the set up I'm using is good for Tokyo/Solo, and would only need say an active or two changed to be good for scenarios, or one talisman and a couple passives for dungeon DPS, and then maybe substitute a single weapon and have a similar set up also for Heals and Tank builds.  Obviously this can be done with pretty much anything, but I'm talking about bare minimum changes to get maximum flexibility... And I think Pistol might be where that's at right now.  Testing to be done, though.

Good luck with the tweaking, I look forward to seeing the results.

CrazyDogLady    14

Yeah, I think the comment I keep seeing is that instead of every top dps build using Elemental Force, now there are going to be the same 7 passives in all of them.  The thing there is, though, that that's for the people that have 10.9.5 gear and all the right purple signets and level 5 augments.  There's also the problem of relying on manifestations for high dps, which is bad if you're in a situation where the mob will move out of it, or if you have frame rate issues with too many effects, or if it takes you too long to place ground targets (like me - I hate manis, apart from Ice, which is nice for the frozen effect).

Pistol/Blade does look good.  I've also heard about Hammer working well with a couple of things.  Apparently Molten Steel is even better now, so that's something to look into.  The biggest complaint I've seen with that is that it's boring, because you end up spamming your builder.

It looks like, in general, having something close range that applies Exposed (Chaos, Blade, or Hammer) with something longer range is a good way to go, and if you can use an elite that gives you vulnerability for your second weapon, it's going to be even better.  As for the Afflict stuff...I'll admit I just like afflict builds.  Lots of procs. :)  Hinder and impair are good, but I've found there are some places you have to avoid them, so it's good to be able to turn that off if necessary.  I haven't seen any "Don't afflict" mobs yet, fortunately.

I forgot that I was soloing, so I can use abilities that have increased hate.  I'm a goof.  Escalation is fine.  My basic Chaos/Rifle is single target, but I can swap in Escalation for multiples.  I'll post it later today.  Still testing, so it might change a bit, but so far, so good.  I have a version for solo/survival, one for "I'm not getting hit, so I don't need heals at all", and one that's a bit more leechy.  I might add one that's a bit more tanky as well, but I'd need to change gear around a little for that.  Mighty Cthulhu hits hard.

It looks like we're going to end up with a couple of decent mid-level dps builds, anyway. :)  With so many people focused on endgame dps, it's nice to have a few for those of us that aren't quite there yet.  Also, I think we're getting the basic rules of how to make a dps build decent, so if people want a different weapon combo, maybe that'll help.

I was also thinking of taking your basic Blade/Pistol build and swapping in a couple Rifle abilities instead of pistol with my duo main.  I was already using Blade/Rifle with him, so it wouldn't be too bad to go back to.  I just need to talk hubby into playing again, so I can test it out as a duo build.  My suspicions are that it will work, but I have to check.

CrazyDogLady    14

Ok, right now I'm using the following: Solo survival   AoE  Need more heals Just dps

1. Run Rampant   Escalation
  2. Consequence
  3. Safety Off
  4. Three Round Burst  Transfuse Anima
  5. Discord Rising
  6. Turn the Tables  Amor Fati
  7. Eye of Pandemonium

Passives:

1. Breakdown 
  2. Bloodsport
  3. Iron Maiden
  4. Fortunate Strike  Circulation
  5. Elemental Force
  6. Sudden Return
  7. Live Wire

I did find out that Escalation will work fast enough for things like the Unbound fight.  Still reglyphing, so my stats aren't where I want, but it gives me decent dps and survival, whether in Tokyo or elsewhere.  I'm thinking that for group dps (dungeon), one of the builders could be replaced, so I'm still thinking about that one.  If using the vulnerability, it would go back and forth between using Rifle while vulnerability is up and Chaos when it isn't (to get 10 stacks of Exposed.)

This was actually the fastest Unbound fight I've had, once I swapped in Escalation.  For once, he didn't get to go through his whole routine. :)

Chaos is frequently used for tank builds, so I'm working on a leech tank (for duo, I'm not ambitious enough to try to leech tank for a group) variation with my duo character.  He really, really needs better gear for that, though.  Oy.  Too many stats to build up.  If I ever get that one working, I'll post it.

Note: Chaos may be magic, but it's close range, so be prepared to circle strafe and dodge AoE's.  Rifle is nice for when you have to back up.

Edited by CrazyDogLady

CrazyDogLady    14

@Daedalus7 - Do you mind if I post the builds we come up with in the Build database thread (I'll credit you for yours, or you can post it yourself if you prefer)?  I think so far we have your Pistol/Blade and my Ele/Rifle (and Rifle/Ele, depending) and Chaos/Rifle.  I'm still looking into Hammer, Fist, and Blood builds.

Daedalus7    5

I don't mind you posting it at all... Feel free.  The only thing I'd suggest for the Pistol/Blade is to mention that really only the four core actives (Stunning Swirl, Dancing Blade/Chop Shop, Hair Trigger, and Shootout) are necessary, and the other three plus auxiliary can be filled to suit your style.  Not sure if it matters, but for the record, my stats are along the lines of 300 CR, 300 CP, 550 Hit, and 400 Pen, with all AR talismans except for one minor health plus Woodcutter's Wrath... This is at 10.1 with not all my glyphs or signets yet.

I tried switching in Live Wire for my Seal the Deal, but I think I'd need a lot more Crit before it starts to get better than my current.  It was about a 200 DPS drop off for me with the same gear.  I've kept Shake And Bake, but I've switched out the other two optional actives for Surging Blades and Trial By Swords, so now it has a lot of extra AOE along with the additional Impair.  I've also picked up The Parasite Configuration, so I'm not as needy for emergency buttons.  Hey, thanks again for your help and input!

• Like 1

CrazyDogLady    14

Back at you :)  You made some great suggestions.

I think you're right about Live Wire scaling with crit.  I've been using a primarily Pen build, and now I'm switching to a more even distribution between Crit and Pen.  It definitely makes a big difference.  And, of course, if you can do both on the same hit....

Grats on finding The Parasite Configuration.  Haven't found that one yet.  Increasing dps is decreasing need for heals, though, so that's a good thing also.  I've been told if you have WC, that's enough crit power and you can just worry about hit/crit/pen, but I'm not in a position to be sure.

Anyway, I'll post here (and eventually in builds) if I figure anything else out.