Kle

The Secret Podcast

Mayahuel    10

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the RP section, but I just listened to the latest podcast today and there was soooooo much that I was saying, "Yes! That! Yes!" to that I wanted to write some thoughts while they were still semi-coherent in my head. Kle, you made so many great points about the in-game RP being daunting for all the reasons you set out. I am an absolute beginner so I expected a huge learning curve so I have really done my best to research the forums as much as possible. Even after reading until my eyes were crossed, I still feel so timid about doing any sort of in-game RP!

My attempts usually go like this:

• Read about an event, get excited! Decide to go and tell myself THIS will be the time that I'm going to go do some RP in game! I'm ready! I have my little emote prog installed. I've studied the commands. I've read all the etiquette stuff! I've got this!
  • Work up the courage to go to the event, watch from a distance. Decide that I'm still not ready. Walk away.
  • Work up the courage AGAIN to go to the event. Show up on the edges. Try to stand around and look friendlly. Realize that i look like I'm showing all the animation of an AFK while everyone else seems to be doing all sorts of cool stuff.
  • Pull up my list of emotes, try to scroll to find what I want to do, realize that whatever I was looking for is no longer appropriate for what's going on (doh!) so I do nothing.
  • See someone else who is standing around like me. Type a message to them and then before I hit enter worry that I'm somehow supposed to maybe approach them as I would in a normal conversation. Should I get closer to try to talk? What do I do? What if I'm just going to be bothering them? Hit backspace and decide not to send the message. Repeat this process several different times with several different people, without ever beginning a conversation.
  • See people doing dances that I don't have the commands for...open browser to try and find the commands. Where are they?? How do I do more than tap dance? I am so NOT a tap dancer unless I am doing some strange art performance piece. Find commands for macarena, sprinkler, gangam style. Cringe while deciding that even if I'm too much of a coward to speak to anyone, I'm at least going to do these incredibly awkward dances. Watch the guy near the stage doing some cool punkish move that I wish I knew how to do. Continue hitting "/digmusic" every so often until I finally do it. I'm dancing!! It's the macarena to American Woman with no irony whatsoever, but hey! I'm dancing!
  • Dance for a few minutes and then go back to wishing I could figure out how to work up the nerve to approach someone in the game in a natural, comfortable way. Leave and wish there were a way I could find a beginner RP group where I could feel comfortable. Go back to reading forums.

OK, please excuse the long-windedness of this post....BUT....my whole point in this is to offer myself up to help organize and/or promote some sort of Absolute Beginner RP event where players could learn the basics of RP and practice in a setting where they wouldn't have to worry about feeling silly. Of course, I'd need some help and guidance from a veteran player or players, but I'm totally down to do this if anyone is interested! 

• Like 1

Kle    122

I know exactly where you're coming from. You should have seen me at the wedding party. If I had typed /me grins anymore I could have died. Oh wait I did :D

I love the idea of putting together a beginners RP event. I was thinking of doing my own introduction video but an event could be great too.

Now who can we get to organise it?

Mayahuel    10

I know exactly where you're coming from. You should have seen me at the wedding party. If I had typed /me grins anymore I could have died. Oh wait I did :D

I love the idea of putting together a beginners RP event. I was thinking of doing my own introduction video but an event could be great too.

Now who can we get to organise it?

Don't even get me started on the OMG factor on Kyle's death!! I would be happy to help organize an event but I certainly can't do it alone. I'll mail you privately so we can maybe brainstorm some logistics. 

p.s. OMG!!!! <------Yup, still my reaction over the whole wedding party story. 

• Like 1

Kle    122

This week we see lucky to have the Cookie Monster herself Sezmra join us on the podcast. 

We'll be recording straight after the streaming ones so if you have any questions for her (or cookies) let us know and we'll try our best to her. 

Kle    122

Ok I've been a bit slack updating the various threads recently... Because reasons. But that is for the past.

Six months. We have been producing episodes every week (more or less) for six months. In that short time we have had amazing guests like Psywarrior, Hesket and of course Sezmra. We have also been given the chance to give away artwork signed by the developers.

But we wouldn't be here without our listeners. Without the support and advice from you we wouldn't have got here. So after all the soppyness, you probably want to know what we have lined up for you? This week we discuss ArchiTexts, The Streaming Ones as well as looking at Otters doing marathons and Psywarrior's new site.

You can get the latest episode here and don't forget to check out our episode with Sezmra here

• Like 3