Sign in to follow this  
DarkMoonrise

Why dabs+sf and not bssf+da

DarkMoonrise    17
The purpose of this post is simple: Give a solution to this problem: "Why pairing Shotgun and Pistol together and let Elem alone? It doesn't make any sense! Shotgun and Pistol have absolutely not synergy!"

So here is a proposal. Splitting buffs as follows: Breaching Shot and Short Fuse with a critic Strike based build and Deadly Aim with a Focus proc based build.

For the Strike build, I propose an adaptation of my "It's hammer time" build (see this post) : http://www.tsw-builder.com/#76v770742615663713613776p612614223210253623836
For the Focus build, I propose this one : http://www.tsw-builder.com/#48v420802415435813835826p821834141934425123836

The Strike build is already tested on the field but the Focus build is brand new (and it's the first time I try to create a proc build, so be gentle). If you have another idea  for this build, you're welcome to share your knowledge here.

And if you agree with my theory, you're welcome to test it and give feedback here. Let's break stupid preconceived ideas together!
  • Like 1

Vikestart    106

You don't have to use Shotgun with Pistols. The important part is the pistol ability Shootout to exploit Elemental Force. :) You can easily subsitute the Shotgun for Elementalism.

However, the reason Shotgun and Pistols are used together is because both Breaching Shot and Deadly Aim are much stronger than Short Fuse, thus they should be prioritised first.

kuro    113

I am not sure of this... but (at least for me) SF feels slower to cast. The time it takes to do both da and bs feels much faster.

DarkMoonrise    17

However, the reason Shotgun and Pistols are used together is because both Breaching Shot and Deadly Aim are much stronger than Short Fuse, thus they should be prioritised first.

​Yeah, sure I understand that but when was the last time you did a 18s run with dabs and without sf? Except with guys from noobmares who are courageously beginning NM with half of their wheel unlocked.

Vikestart    106

DABS is pretty mandatory to me in a group, but I won't force anyone to change weapons just to get SF, so Short Fuse is optional to me, kinda like a bonus.

Apart from the raid where the buff circles dictate this, it's perfectly viable to run BSSF and have someone else do DA. When 1.9 came one of my first experiments was just this.

Just remember that SF has a 1 sec cast while the other two are instant, so do SF first.

Auroris    160

I think that the answer to the question is that DABS is a lot easier to say than any other possible combination of the three acronyms.

Also, I suspect that when the term came into use, Elementalism was used much less than Shotguns and Pistols were.

Escritores    71

Reason is you used to be able to chain cast buffs, there was no debuff, so it was taken as given that all dps had DABS.. After raid came out as a lot have said above it became easy just to keep using that build due to range circles. But yes you can do whatever you want now, well you allways could but it wasn't optimal, however having all 3 buffs in a group is obviously preferable still.

And the cookie cutter shotgun/pistol build still do decent damage despite of lacking subtype synergy.

Edited by Escritores

Vikestart    106

I will still ask the group, if not demand, that DABS is taken over DASF or BSSF, in dungeons, again since DA and BS are a lot more powerful than SF, especially after the recent nerf to SF. :P

But if we can have SF too, that's awesome. I guess then it's just faster to ask someone to take DABS and hear if someone can take SF, because that's what most of us are used to already, but if you're grouped with people you know, sure... other combinations are perfectly viable. :)

Edited by Vikestart
  • Like 2

Shivvies    59

It's been a long time since I ran low DPS groups except for 18s maybe (I run them with starting people or Cabal mostly) - I usually end up with mid DPS groups. Again, it's been a long time since we had SF consistently.

DABS is much more important, in my experience, than SF. In a nutshell, (1) DABS pistol shottie is an easy rota so hard to mess up (2) thus providing consistent DPS to the group (3) with only one DPS bringing them letting the other two do whatever they like.

I never cared much about my personal DPS as long as it is not bringing the group down and I usually bring other utility as well (Crack, WW, CU, Bombardment for both damage and miti, flack jacket, bombs, greater good, backup drone, etc.) and both pistol and shottie are strong support weapons while still providing decent DPS. So, I would say they DO have synergy in the sense that they can provide stuff that makes the group's life way easier - just not in the moar numbers sense which is fine.

That said, in a coordinated group no reason to not have support and/or buffs distributed so long as DA and BS are provided by someone.

Cheers...

Edited by Shivvies
Learn to type, Shivs...