Sign in to follow this  
Ciritty

Are you annoyed?

Question

1 answer to this question

Glaucon    62

I don't get annoyed at people who claim that the default UI sucks. Everyone tends to have really strong opinions on the way that UIs should work and behave, and a lot of the time a UI that works really well for one individual would be absolutely terrible for another individual. 

I spent a lot of time when I first came on as the GUI programmer for Funcom, and I actually still spend a lot of time, sending messages to folks who say 'the UI sucks.' Part of my job is to identify what people don't like about it, and how to fix those things. What I do get slightly annoyed with, is people who refuse to expand on that. The vast majority of people I've asked about it either don't respond at all, or respond by saying that it should be obvious why it sucks. I really want to help folks out and make things better, so it's a little frustrating when people refuse to tell me what they do or don't like when I reach out to them personally.

What I learned from the people who did answer me though, was that a lot of the issues that people had with the default UI could be fixed by giving them more customization options. So that is what I've been trying to do a lot more of, and now I'm seeing a lot fewer of those complaints.

Now, clearly, bugs don't fall under this umbrella. Bugs are always bad obviously.

• Like 6

Sign in to follow this